Eight Interesting Businesses In Portland Oregon
If you’re a Oregon native, you’re probably familiar with some of the larger businesses in our area: Nike, Columbia Sportswear, and Intel, but do you know where to get an in-house green coffee bean roasted drink or a custom leather jacket? With a quirky and unconventional side, Portland is has a wealth of unique local businesses who do things a bit differently. Here are some standouts in and around the Rose City:
1. Blue Star Donuts (3549 SE Hawthorne Blvd) – Featuring a variety of brioche style donuts with a plethora of flavors, Blue Star has pushed its way to overtaking long-time tourist legend Voodoo Donuts for quality and taste. With a french recipe dough that takes more than 18 hours to make and cage free eggs and quality sourced local ingredients, these donuts are unlike their grocery store counterparts. Flavors change seasonally but expect berry and herb combinations along with classics made with chocolate.
2. Cocoon Silk (602 NW 23rd Ave.) – This locally-owned shop takes raw silk and transforms it into custom creations fit to your measurements. From wedding dresses and formal gowns designed by the owner, the pieces here are one of a kind and reasonably priced. There’s also clothing off the rack to try out as you peruse designs.
3. New Deal Distillery and Tasting Room (900 SE Salmon St.) – Right on distillery row, New Deal stands out, not only for it’s namesake vodka, but its unique libation, Hot Monkey, a spicy vodka is sure to stun when paired with pineapple juice. Other must tries include coffee liqueur, ginger liqueur, and Portland Dry Gin.
4. Langlitz Leathers (2443 SE Division St.) – Bikers worldwide flock to Langlitz and wait sometimes up to a year for custom leather jackets hand-sewn on location. These wares are built to last.
5. Bridge City Limo Rentals (Portland, OR ) – Bridge City Limos is a local based party bus and limo rental service with superior quality as well as service. They offer their exclusives bus rentals for larger groups as well as rentals to tour the local wine distilleries. Prices are reasonable and reviews are great.
6. Ground Kontrol (511 NW Couch St) – keeps Portland weird as a historic home of arcade games for adults. With 28 pinball machines upstairs, and a bar downstairs, this place is full of fun. Machines feature slots for your beverage while you play and local DJs spin frequently.
7. Heart Coffee Roasters (537 Southwest 12th Ave.) – Portland is known for its coffee culture and Heart is one of the best places to grab a cup. This shop features Chemex and Aeropress brewed pour overs made with beans lightly roasted in house for a mellow, less-acidic flavor.
8. Alpenrose Dairy (6149 SW Shattuck Rd) – Family run since 1916, Alpenrose not only provides the city with milk, cream, and other dairy products, it also features a rare velodrome built in 1967, that continues to attract international bicycle racers to this day.
Each of these local businesses offers something unique to the city of Portland. From leather jackets and coffee to vodka and lumber, this city is full of interesting offerings that are part of what keeps Portland both weird and special to its residents and the many tourists who visit each year.
I do have to say in summary that to get the best Portland party bus rental around, contact Bridge city limo. I was really blown away by their service and quality. I would highly recommend them especially for a larger party.